New roles and task substitutionThe NZMA position statement on Principles for Health Workforce Redesign provides a platform to consider workforce initiatives and needs to be further promulgated in the sector (particularly the medical colleges).
The NZMA has made a number of submissions relating to this issue, including:
- on the Medicines Action Plan, reiterating concerns around non-medical prescribing and the importance of diagnostic considerations, referencing our position statement on non medical prescribing.
- on the 53rd agenda, and the 57th Agenda of the Medicines Classification Committee reiterating concerns about pharmacists selling oral contraceptives and Nitrofurantoin (increased fragmentation, compromised safety, undermined therapeutic relationship with GP). The MCC subsequently decided not to allow these sales to proceed. Dr Child was interviewed by the media on this topic.
- on the Amended Scope of Practice for Dietitians
- on a proposal to extend the scope of practice for nurse practitioners
- a submission to PHARMAC in relation to Nurse Prescribers